Eat clean and enjoy these dairy-free, gluten-free, refined-sugar free frozen treats - just in time for Summer!
- Holly Larson, RD
Summer is heating up! Nothing is more refreshing than an icy treat when the temperature is rising. Most store bought confections have added sugars, colors and preservatives; the kinds of ingredients that exclude them for our Brain Balance students. Luckily we have three recipes for you to make and enjoy at home this summer, all of which are Balance 360 approved!
Coconut Ice Cream
2 cans of organic full-fat coconut milk
4 large dates, pitted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
dash of cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
1. Chill the coconut milk cans in the fridge overnight.
2. Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
3. Run the mixture through an ice cream machine as per instructions. If you don’t have an ice cream machine, place in the freezer in a large container and freeze until firm (approximately 4 hours), removing every hour to whisk with a fork.
1 banana, peeled, chunked and frozen
Mix ins - peanut butter, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon, etc...
Puree frozen banana chunks in a food processor or powerful blender until smooth and creamy. Add optional mix ins and puree to combine. Enjoy immediately.
4½ cups fresh honeydew (approx. 1 honeydew), cubed
1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup honey
¼ cup water
1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the cubed honeydew onto the baking sheet, leaving space in between the cubes to allow for even freezing.
3. Place the tray into the freezer and freeze the honeydew overnight, or until completely frozen (4-6 hours).
4. Place the frozen honeydew into the bowl of a food processor, along with the lemon juice, honey, and water, and pulse until the honeydew becomes crumbly. You may need to add more water until the mixture becomes more fluid, but not slushy. You're looking for a soft sorbet texture at this point.
5. Taste and add any additional honey mixture as needed at this time.
6. Serve immediately, or store in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
About Balance 360 Clean Eating Nutrition System
The Balance 360 Nutrition System is the Brain Balance Program's proprietary nutritional plan.
The Balance 360 nutrition system is a crucial part of each student’s program. Our proprietary nutrition program is designed to be self-guided, with valuable support from the Brain Balance team of Nutrition Coaches. Balance 360 supports each child’s progress by nourishing their brain and body with healthy food and removing foods that may be causing behavior or focus issues.
To learn why our whole-child approach is the most effective way to help your child, contact us online or find a center near you.