Brain Balance Achievement Center: NEW DRUG-FREE program for children with ADHD, dyslexia, Asperger’s, Tourette’s, autism and other learning disabilities.
By Staff Writer, Valley Scene Magazine
- “He has no problems whatsoever doing homework now. This used to be a huge problem.”
- “My son is happier and free to be himself! He has grown emotionally and best of all he is so much more verbal. I have already recommended this program.”
- “Because of Brain Balance, our daughter can now say a whole bunch of positive things about herself.”
- “His handwriting has improved tremendously. He has shown great improvement in reading fluency and his comprehension is coming along nicely.”
- “His athletic ability has become more noticeable. When playing catch and hitting a baseball, his hand-eye coordination is improving.”
- “We attribute the changes to Brain Balance – but it’s almost as if the other therapies are finally clicking in. She’s able to improve in all her therapies as a result of Brain Balance! We are thrilled to see our daughter improve in all areas! Others have commented that she is doing so well (therapists and friends and relatives). She is a joy to be around now!”
- “He has come such a long way in such a short amount of time! We attribute all of these changes to Brain Balance and we are thankful that we found this great achievement center.”
How is Brain Balance different?
The program is based on Functional Disconnection Syndrome research correlated by Dr. Robert Melillo, author of Disconnected Kids: The Groundbreaking Brain Balance Program for Children with Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and Other Neurological Disorders. FDS is a functional imbalance of brain activity within each side and/or between the right and left sides of the brain. Current research continues to describe this as brain under connectivity, de-synchronization and/or Functional Disconnection Syndrome. The brain literally becomes desynchronized or out of rhythm. Just as an orchestra may be filled with extremely gifted musicians, the music played will sound horrible if the musicians play out of rhythm with each other. The brain, too, must function in rhythm or in synchronicity.
The most accurate diagnosis for children often considered to have autism, Asperger’s, Tourette’s, ADHD, dyslexia and other learning disabilities is actually Functional Disconnection Syndrome. The latest functional MRI brain research shows that in FDS, there is a functional disconnection between the two hemispheres of the brain. The hemispheres of the brain are essentially out of synch. One hemisphere can process information at a slower speed, like dial-up, and the other hemisphere is processing at DSL speed.
What does the program include?
First, Brain Balance determines if a child that is exhibiting abnormal emotional, social, physical and academic symptoms has FDS. Approximately 75% of the children evaluated do. After determining which hemisphere is functioning immaturely, they design a specific program integrating physical (sensory and motor) activities, cognitive exercises, and supportive nutritional initiatives for each child. They literally change the brain through exercising the circuits and retraining the hemispheres to communicate effectively. Typically the multi-modal approach creates results that are exponential as compared to only utilizing one modality such as EEG/bio-feedback.
Will it help my child?
Brain Balance has helped thousands of families coping with these challenges. The program has been available in New York for 15 years and opened in Westlake Village 3 years ago. There are now 15 locations in the country and 7 more scheduled to open in 2010.
Teachers, family, friends, and the children all benefit. The professional supportive team at Brain Balance Achievement Center appreciates being a part of the solution for these families. At present Westlake Village is the only location on the West Coast so students come from other states in addition to California to attend the 12 week after-school program. Brain Balance is proud of the sustainable results utilizing its unique multi-modal approach.
Dr. Gary Erkfritz, Executive Director (Brain Balanc Center Westlake Village), has spent the last ten years of his 43-yr career focusing on childhood nutritional/allergy issues. Expanding his work to include Brain Balance allows him to help these children and their families in a much more comprehensive manner.
Contact us to learn more!